[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  pmok at optushome dot com dot au
 Cc:  andy dash choi at uiowa dot edu, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Anyone using a VIA EPIA board
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:00:08 -1000
pmok at optushome dot com dot au wrote:

>I tested the EPIA PD10000 with m0n0wall.
>(PD10000 is an updated version of the CL10000 but
>capable of having up to 4 serial port connections...Uses
>a revised edition of the 1Ghz "Nehemiah").
>
>Its serious OVERKILL for just the router role. I like its
>hardware accelerated encryption, but have yet to use it
>in any practical manner. Is there a way for m0n0wall to
>take advantage of it?

Its only overkill if you can't use the CPU.   However, with large/long
pf rulesets, you'll want the CPU for forwarding multiple 100Mbps
interfaces.

>I find the onboard LAN connections are nowhere near as
>efficient as Intel-based NICs. (Which is obvious, as they're
>VIA Rhine II and III LAN controllers). You're better off
>getting the regular EPIA with a quad port NIC PCI card.
>
>Overall, not bad, but maybe overkill, depending on your
>requirements. It has more grunt than a Geode-based setup,
>but it ain't fanless (for 1Ghz models).

the newest Nehemiah processors can be fanless up to 1GHz.  1.2GHz
still requires a fan.

>I really wished they used Intel LAN controllers!
>Like the new EPIA DP (Dual CPU) model with an Intel Gigabit
>LAN controller!
>http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_dp_spec.jsp?motherboardId=321
>( YUMMY! )

N.B. the Intel GigE is listed as an "option".   Read: you'll need to
place a high-volume order to get it.

Otherwise, yes, its yummy.  About the only thing the left off was a CF slot.