[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  'm0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  1:1 Nat confusion
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:09:02 -0800
Hello all. I am successfully using 1:1 nat, but am not sure I
understand what is going on completely. I am playing with a machine
that I would like to have people be able to access it externally and
internally.  This is on v1.1 with a bridged DSL line.

I have 5 IP addresses that I get from my ISP. I have M0n0 set up as the
first (x.y.z.88) and this provides NAT to a number of people. I turned
on Proxy Arp and set it up with my IP addresses. I then used 1:1 to set
up x.y.z.90 --> 192.168.100.90 (the machine's IP which points to the IP
of the machine on my LAN.

Then I added firewall rules for the ports that I wanted to use, but
here is where I am a little hazy. I have ports 80 and 22 forwarded
already to another machine already without using 1:1 NAT. To enter the
same rules in there, I can simply duplicate the rule that is currently
there. So I end up with a lot of duplicate rules with just the
destination being different.

Is what I am doing "correct"? It would be nice if there was a better
way of separating the rules for each WAN IP. Is there a better way of
doing what I am doing?

Thanks!
Aaron