[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Question
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:03:21 -0500
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:46:03 -1000, Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com> wrote:

> It uses the rtl8180 chipset, which you may find challenging to use with
> FreeBSD.
>
> You've got a couple options.   "Project Evil" (FreeBSD for
> "ndiswrapper") has reported some success:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2004-March/003323.html

I have a Linksys card with the rtl8180 chipset, using the NDISulator
on my FreeBSD 5.3 laptop.  Works more than well enough for that
purpose, but given the amount of coaxing it sometimes takes at the
command line to kick it into shape, I would never put one in an
embedded device.  Seems to be pretty slow too, maybe 2-3 Mb, though I
haven't done any good testing on it.  It's fine for irc'ing and web
surfing which is all I use it for anyway.  It just happened to be
laying around when I needed a card for my 5.3 laptop, so I gave the
NDISulator a shot for fun.  I wouldn't have actually bought the card
for that purpose.

-Chris