[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Kevin Bowling <kevin dot bowling at wans dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] anti-spam appliance?
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:30:20 -0700
The author is implying something be developed with m0n0 simplicity and reliability for the task
of spam filtering.  I personally think it is an excellent idea since spam filtering is a nightmare
to set up.  A CF image that maintains state as well as HD would be possible.  Either full blown
postfix or fetchmail/getmail running with a POP/IMAP frontend and Spam Assassin would be sweet.
User configuration would be done through webgui.  It hits the sweet spot of SOHO where there
wouldn't be a huge amount of accounts, so CF is possible.  Obviously going off on such a tangent
would only relate to m0n0 for inspiration but it is a good idea none the less.  If anyone is
interested in working on such a development I'd love to help.
		Kevin

<orig>
anti-spam should be on a mail server. . .

Yeah. I can see that.

Additionally, I noticed that there is Loadbalancing / High Availability
on the wish list. Moreover, while I originally thought it would be a
great feature to add; now I'm not so sure. I think that should be a
different project entirely-- and boy someone needs to jump on it.

I've tired just about every "free" solution out there: "Red Hat E3" (and
"TAO"), "Ultramonkey", "lvs-kiss", "lvs gui", straight up "ipvsadmn"; as
well as Zeus and Loadbalancer.org (which, was the only one I got to
actually work-- but it costs $1700 US). I've gone so far as to write my
own GUI front end to ipvsadmn (I'm one of those Java snobs), but I
haven't finished yet, and I'll probably never finish it.

If m0n0wall is any indication of the programming prowess of the
developers, then a separate NLB / HA solution would be the cat's meow.

Best regards,

Dave