[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JSimoneau at lmtcs dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] monowall 2 monowall
 Date:  Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:40:06 -0500
Toby,

So you've got two monowalls, that can be connected together with a
crossover cable, and you want to do a VPN over that cable?

Why do a VPN? If you've got two routers and two local subnets that are
connected by a physical Cat5 cable, just route between the two. No reason
to make your monowall do all the encryption on either side. VPN can add a
lot of overhead, especially when we're talking about an embedded system
like a Soekris or WRAP board.

Lots of companies have multiple routers and trunks to allow communication
between subnets. Create a separate subnet for the two OPT ports, and give
each OPT port on each monowall an ip on those ports. Make sure they can
ping each other across the OPT interfaces. Then just put in static routes
on each monowall that essentially say "To go to the private subnet on the
other monowall, use the IP address on the OPT interfaces".

If this is unclear, let me know!

Regards,
Josh Simoneau