[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Help, I got really slow download speed with m0n0wall over a 4mbit cable modem connection
 Date:  Fri, 1 Apr 2005 13:56:26 -0500
Dennis Yu wrote:
> Yes, I started with 1.11 and feel the speed is slow so thinking
maybe
> 1.2b7 will improve that.  BTW, Does the firewall rule has anything
> do with download speed? How do I setup m0n0wall without any firewall
> rule and basically just use it as an internet connection sharing
> device?
>
> Thanks for the help

If you have a lot of rules this could impede performance. But, from
what I have read on the list, it takes a lot of rules. VPN will also
impede performance (all three flavors: IPSEC, PPTP, and OpenVPN). From
your original post, I think your hardware has plenty of power, so I
doubt that the rules are the problem. Try switching out one or both
NICs.

For basic operation:
Either in the console or in WebGUI Diagnostics - Set to Factory
Defaults. You will have a minimum of two firewall rules: pass LAN any
-> any (other wise you will not be able to go out to the Internet...)
and the unwritten (not in WebGUI) block WAN -> LAN. These are the
default rules.

James W. McKeand