[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 
 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: problem setting up m0n0wall pptp server
 Date:  Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:08:30 -0500
problem solved. The actual problem was a specific laptop I was using
for testing.

sorry for the noise.

- Don

On Mar 31, 2005 3:55 PM, Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I am having problems setting up m0n0wall as a pptp server.
> I have followed the instructions in the documentation(I beleive).
> Using a laptop and a dialup connection I can connect to m0n0wall and
> get authenicated, but after a few seconds, the connection is dropped.
> 
> In m0n0wall I followed the steps for setting up the server service
> server = 192.168.222.254
> remote address range 192.168.222.192/28
> No radius server.
> I enabled 128 bit encryption
> This range is not in the scope of our DHCP servers, nor are any
> workstations statically mapped.
> I then steup a user/password and no static IP mapping.
> The client pc is windows 2k with typical setting for a vpn connection
> (not custom)
> 
> I did not:
> setup a NAT 1:1 for some public IP to translate to 192.168.222.254
> I am assuming that I would point the client to the public WAN IP for m0n0wall.
> 
> Aside from seeing the connection being dropped, the other strange
> thing I am seeing is the entries for DNS in the system log.
> SECDNS 192.168.222.47
> PRIDNS 192.168.222.1
> 
> I specifically setup
>         <dnsserver>192.168.222.47</dnsserver>
>         <dnsserver>192.168.222.40</dnsserver>
> and un-checked Allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on WAN
> 
> What am I missing ???
> 
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] LCP: Down event
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] link: DOWN event
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] device: DOWN event in state OPENING
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state OPENING
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] pptp originate option is not enabled
> Apr 1 01:30:06 mpd: [pt0] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:30:00 mpd: pptp0: killing connection with 208.59.102.163:1030
> Apr 1 01:30:00 mpd: pptp0: no reply to StopCtrlConnRequest after 3 sec
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] pausing 9 seconds before open
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: CLOSE event in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: Down event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] link: DOWN event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: DOWN event in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: Down event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] link: DOWN event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: DOWN event in state CLOSING
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerFinish
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: state change Starting --> Initial
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] link: CLOSE event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state CLOSING
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: OPEN event in state CLOSING
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] closing link "pt0"...
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] bundle: CLOSE event in state OPENED
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device is now in state CLOSING
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: pptp0: closing connection with 208.59.102.163:1030
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: LayerFinish
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: state change Starting --> Initial
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] PPTP call terminated
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: pptp0-0: killing channel
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: pptp0-0: clearing call
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] device: CLOSE event in state UP
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerDown
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: LayerFinish
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: state change Starting --> Initial
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: Close event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: LayerDown
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: state change Opened --> Starting
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] CCP: Down event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] exec: /sbin/ifconfig ng1 down delete -link0
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] exec: /usr/sbin/arp -d 192.168.222.192
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] exec: /sbin/route delete 192.168.222.254 -iface lo0
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Down event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: LayerDown
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: state change Opened --> Starting
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: Down event
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] up: 0 links, total bandwidth 9600 bps
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] setting interface ng1 MTU to 1500 bytes
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: phase shift NETWORK --> DEAD
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: state change Opened --> Starting
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerStart
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerFinish
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: peer not responding to echo requests
> Apr 1 01:29:57 mpd: [pt0] LCP: no reply to 5 echo request(s)
> Apr 1 01:29:47 mpd: [pt0] LCP: no reply to 4 echo request(s)
> Apr 1 01:29:37 mpd: [pt0] LCP: no reply to 3 echo request(s)
> Apr 1 01:29:27 mpd: [pt0] LCP: no reply to 2 echo request(s)
> Apr 1 01:29:17 mpd: [pt0] LCP: no reply to 1 echo request(s)
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Up event
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] exec: /usr/local/sbin/vpn-linkup ng1 inet
> 192.168.222.254 192.168.222.192 donmunyak
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] exec: /sbin/route add 192.168.222.254 -iface lo0
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] exec: /usr/sbin/arp -s 192.168.222.192
> 0:11:95:1e:7a:f7 pub
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] exec: /sbin/ifconfig ng1 192.168.222.254
> 192.168.222.192 netmask 0xffffffff -link0
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] setting interface ng1 MTU to 1500 bytes
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Up event
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: 192.168.222.254 -> 192.168.222.192
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: LayerUp
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: state change Ack-Rcvd --> Opened
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: SECDNS 192.168.222.47
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: PRIDNS 192.168.222.1
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: IPADDR 192.168.222.192
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: SendConfigAck #9
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: SECDNS 192.168.222.47
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: PRIDNS 192.168.222.1
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: 192.168.222.192 is OK
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: IPADDR 192.168.222.192
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: rec'd Configure Request #9 link 0 (Ack-Rcvd)
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: state change Req-Sent --> Ack-Rcvd
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: IPADDR 192.168.222.254
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: rec'd Configure Ack #2 link 0 (Req-Sent)
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: SECDNS 192.168.222.47
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: PRIDNS 192.168.222.1
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: IPADDR 192.168.222.192
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: [pt0] IPCP: SendConfigNak #8
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: NAKing with 192.168.222.47
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: SECDNS 0.0.0.0
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: NAKing with 192.168.222.1
> Apr 1 01:28:48 mpd: PRIDNS 0.0.0.0
>