[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] another FreeBSD 4.10 vs. 5.3 comparison
 Date:  Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:56:15 +0200
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 29. March 2005:

>1.2b7 topped out at 3.2-3.8 Mb at 100% CPU.

I access the WebUI via https, because of all the CPU issues of FBSD
5.x I now downgraded to 1.2b3 again and immediately noticed how
"snappy" the WebUI is in 1.2b3 and how slow in 1.2b6, even on the
internal net where bandwidth really is no problem. The CPU graph in
1.2b6 also shows spikes to 100% when working with the WebUI.

I have a hard time understanding, why I have about double the CPU load
between 1.2b3 and 1.2b5, functionality is almost identical.

Since this major switch was made during 1.2 development, would it make
sense to return to 4.10 until 1.2 is stable? This way users would have
more choices and the meantime could be utilized to explore other
options (not necessarily FBSD 5.x).

Please note that this is no rant or criticism, I am very pleased with
1.2b3

Kind regards   Frederick