[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Not seeing the 5.3 slowdowns
 Date:  Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:05:36 +0200
Hallo Kevin,

Kevin Bowling schrieb am 31. March 2005:

>Interestingly enough, I am not experiencing the slowdowns users like
>Chris report.

This is indeed interesting, the WebUI alone is noticeably slower in
1.2b6 than it was in 1.2b3 (WRAP 1C, Bios 1.03, 266 Mhz, 128 MB RAM).

>I am able to pull my entire 4 megabit line down with minimal effort
>on the firewall.

I can do that too, I also have 4 mBit total bandwidth and CPU is at
about 50% (many firewall rules, some NATting).

>Granted, 5.3 uses a bit more CPU but nothing too absurd.

CPU is at 50% with 1.2b6, I experience no immediate problems either,
but it's almost double of what 1.2b3 would utilize with exactly the
same functionality. And the WebUI is noticeably slower here on 1.2b6

>The test was run using two client PCs: one running Azureus and an
>HTTP download from IBM, and the other running eXeem for a total of
>maybe 80 or so streams.

That's about the scenario I am running here.

>CPU use was in the low 20 percentiles regardless of the HTTP download
>running or not.

This indeed is interesting. There might be differences between your PC
and my WRAP.

>IIRC I believe the 4.3 release tree would run around 10-15% in
>similar tests.

So you also experienced an almost double CPU utilization. That was my
point: this almost 100% increase is IMHO alarming.

Kind regards  Frederick