[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Frederick Page <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] another FreeBSD 4.10 vs. 5.3 comparison
 Date:  Sat, 2 Apr 2005 21:15:59 +0200
Hallo Chris,

Chris Buechler schrieb am 02. April 2005:

>>Since this major switch was made during 1.2 development, would it make
>>sense to return to 4.10 until 1.2 is stable?

>Manuel and I have already been discussing just this over the past week
>or so. 1.2 is almost certainly going to be released on 4.11

That sounds like music in my ears, it's highly appreciated.

>and 5.3 moved to a 1.3 or 2.0 beta.

So there is still hope that the current issues can be worked out on
the FBSD 5.x platform?

>That isn't an absolute set in stone decision yet, but that's what we
>both feel should be done at this point.

As I was totally unaware of this discussion and independantly came up
with the same suggestion, this might indicate that it makes some sort
of sense ;-) I think it's best for the community this way.

>1.2 can be released much quicker this way

Yes, there have been many improvements over 1.1 and this IMHO
qualifies for another milestone, another stable release.

>and we'll have time to work out the issues in 5.3.

I really hope that the 5.x choice is a good one. Other BSD branches
are more known for smaller footprint and hardware efficiency, I'd
appreciate it if one could at least consider another base OS platform.

They are all free and have their similiarities, just because a
possibly unpopular person may lead a branch does not necessarily mean
that this is a bad platform.

>There are a lot of improvements in the 1.2 betas (5.3 not being one
>of them) that we'd like to have released sooner rather than later.

I agree on both issues, IMHO the 5.3 experiment was no success. I
personally cannot see the slightest advantage over 4.10 on m0n0's
primary platform (embedded PCs). Downgrading from 1.2b6 to 1.2b3 today
really opened my eyes, how fast the (https) WebUI was before, how
little CPU and RAM everything used ... yet with almost identical
functionality.

I am very glad and relieved, that the development returns to old Unix
virtues and (to me) makes much more sense again.

Thank you very much for this highly appreciated feedback, I am quite
sure that other users will read this with relief.

Kind regards    Frederick