[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  Ed Lentz <elentz at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't seem to get PPTP to work
 Date:  Sat, 2 Apr 2005 21:36:35 -0500
When I had setup the m0n0wall pptp server and added a user account, I
was able to connect to m0n0wall. The session stayed active and I could
see the session detail, but I too could not ping anything on the LAN,
even though from the remote client doing an ipconfig /all showed that
I had a pptp local IP from the office.

I read from the link I sent about adding a line to the windows hosts
file located in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc. You will see something
like:

# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

soo...for a given internal www server

192.168.1.5         office.server,local             #intranet ww server

Adding this will allow you to ping that workstation, but to get to the
webpage on that workstation, I think you wil need an internal DNS.

Cheap solutions...While I am no *nix/bsd person, I know that just
about any downloadable distro can be configured for www and dns.
Likewise poptop http://www.poptop.org/ is an open-source pptp project
for *nix. I was thinking about loading this on a debian box to toil
with myself.

>  I have a Mandrake linux system on the other side of the firewall and I can't seem
> to see it as well as the other windoze boxes.

This may because windoze boxes are prone to being wide open, while
your drake box has fewer ports/services open

> I can tracert and ping outside the wan from the PPTP but I can't http or ping inside the lan.

I am not sure I follow this.......

If I haven't answered your question. Let me know. Honestly, I am not
sure I understand what your asking.

- Don