[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  ryanag at zoominternet dot net
 Cc:  David Courtney <blixel at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, "A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk" <A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Host list feature request
 Date:  Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:28:17 -0400
I just checked with someone I belive to be quite knowledgeable in the
MS world. I won't bother listing all his credentials.

Anyway, MS Server DNS does not query the hosts file during a dns
request. hosts files are used from the clients perspective..ie opening
up a browser session on a server is a client action, not server
service.

While making a list is possible, it would mean creating (A) host
records for all the places you don't want users to go
to..MANUALLY...in the dns file.

A bettter application would be to use squid for www proxy or one of
the many open-source third party soluitions like censornet
(http://www.censornet.com/) .

While I personally do not have experience with censornet, I have peers
of mine using with great success...for what it's worth.

- Don