[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WAN vs LAN nic?
 Date:  Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:56:44 -0500
On Apr 4, 2005 11:27 PM, Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net> wrote:

> In terms of disaster recovery, if something goes wrong, I want to be
> able to have someone at the colo simply reimage the CF card, insert it
> into the m0n0wall box and reboot.
>
> Am I overthinking the process?  Is there a better way create a disaster
> recovery plan under the assumption that I won't be able to load a
> config.xml manually (think: Imagine the config.xml file changes formats
> down the road and I don't want to walk a monkey at the data center
> through manually configuring IPs, NAT, and firewall rules)

Since it's a lot more than interface assignments, I'd just maintain an
up to date config.xml backup offsite and if the CF card needs to be
reimaged for whatever reason, send them an image with your config
backup pre-loaded in the image.  If you have a FreeBSD box, it's a
whole lot easier than you might think.  See workon.sh on this page.
http://chrisbuechler.com/index.php?id=20

If you don't have a FreeBSD box, if you send me your config.xml and
I'm feeling nice, I'll write an image for you.  :)

-Chris