[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  Richard Harding <rick at ricksweb dot info>
 Cc:  Raphael Maunier <raphael at maunier dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] trouble with HD install
 Date:  Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:26:09 +0100
Hi,

In message <4252FF22 dot 4060109 at ricksweb dot info>, Richard Harding
<rick at ricksweb dot info> writes
>I don't have a windows desktop to try this on. (just 2 win laptops &
>one old linux server right now) My understanding is that to use
>physdiskwrite would require a space Windows machine to hook up the
>firewall HD to.
>
>If I'm mistaken please correct me.

this allows you to connect any IDE device to the USB port with either a
standard 40-pin connector or a 44-pin laptop connector.  A laptop drive
can be powered by the USB port but it comes with a power supply other
devices with a standard Molex connector.

This means that I can plug an IDE device in without having to shutdown
or open my machine.

It's one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42322&item=67556
79346&rd=1

I find this very handy and a couple of colleagues bought one after they
saw the one I bought !!!

This probably won't help you in the short term but it really makes life
easier in the long term.  It also means that you can write to a standard
3.5" IDE drive from a laptop !!!

HTH,

                                Neil.

--
Neil A. Hillard                E-Mail:   neil at dana dot org dot uk
                               Web:      http://www.dana.org.uk/