[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Eric Neilsen <eric at attask dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VPN Gaming
 Date:  Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:36:13 -0600
Most Virtual Private Network (including m0n0wall) implementations comply
with a widely accepted standard that prevents any routing device from
forwarding broadcast packets. This is absolutely essential to the proper
operation of routers; however, it is required to forward broadcast
packets across VPN connections to achieve true LAN functionality.
Without true LAN functionality multi-player gaming is impossible.

Several of the current threads mention a work-around approach through
openVPN using TAP tunnels and bridging. This doesn't seem EASY!!!! I've
tried and failed, and maybe I'm just an idiot; however, I bet I'm not
the only person who has tried and failed.

Other threads mention new updates will hopefully add better support for
openVPN. In fact it is currently on the "wishlist."; however, it doesn't
seem to move off the "wishlist." It has been on there for sometime. Does
anyone know when it will be moving to the "to do list?"

If we can rally enough support, will it be possible to turn this feature
request into a high priority (at least a higher priority)?

--
Eric Neilsen