[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  WAN vs LAN nic?
 Date:  Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:27:18 -0600
Quicky question.

When m0n0wall boots without a configuration file, how does it determine
which NIC is the WAN and which NIC is the LAN?

Will the order always be consistent on the same set of hardware?

The reason I ask -- I'm currently reevaluating my current dedicated
server plus a bunch of third party services I'm reselling vs the cost of
renting 4u of rack space and purchasing my own hardware.  I will not
have physical access to the hardware past the initial installation
(since I'm not looking at a colo in this city).  One of my goals will be
to include m0n0wall as a firewall.

In terms of disaster recovery, if something goes wrong, I want to be
able to have someone at the colo simply reimage the CF card, insert it
into the m0n0wall box and reboot.  If I can guarantee that m0n0wall will
come up with the WAN and LAN ports set correctly (in other words, I'll
determine which is WAN and which is LAN when I wire everything
initially), I won't need the colo guys to do anything more, I can have a
script on one of my colocated boxes that detects m0n0wall is on the
default IP and have it launch VNC Server which will connect out to my
office PC.

All I'll have to do is fire up VNCViewer and tell it to listen for a
connection, then I can get to a server console and reconfigure m0n0wall.

Am I overthinking the process?  Is there a better way create a disaster
recovery plan under the assumption that I won't be able to load a
config.xml manually (think: Imagine the config.xml file changes formats
down the road and I don't want to walk a monkey at the data center
through manually configuring IPs, NAT, and firewall rules)

--
In Jolt We Trust