[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Maximum number of interfaces
 Date:  Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:14:08 -0400
On Apr 7, 2005 9:45 AM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>         I'm considering using m0n0wall, but I was wondering how many interfaces
> it could manage.  I went through the FAQ, and browsed through the list.
>   I know that I can assign new interfaces using whe web interface, but
> is there a finite number of interfaces possible?

This is part of a new FAQ I'm going to commit later.

The official answer is:
"32 interfaces is the limit, and anything above that is "unsupported"
(but might still work)."

There technically is no limit that we're aware of (well, FreeBSD has
some upper limit, but it's a huge number) though the webGUI will get
slower as you add a bunch of interfaces.

32 includes physical and virtual (VLAN) interfaces.  DHCP is only
supported on 16 interfaces I believe, prior to version 1.2b5 (I'm
going to have to check to verify that number before committing the FAQ
but I believe that's correct).   1.2b5+ should support DHCP on the
maximum supported interfaces.

Specifically for your situation, I know there are people running
Soekris boxes with the lan1621 and lan1641 cards, using 5-7
interfaces.  Speed will probably be your primary concern, if you're
trying to route several LAN's through a 4801, the results won't be
that great if you need consistently high throughput.

-Chris