[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Maximum number of interfaces
 Date:  Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:40:09 -0400
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 9:45 AM, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>        I'm considering using m0n0wall, but I was wondering how many interfaces
>>it could manage.  I went through the FAQ, and browsed through the list.
>>  I know that I can assign new interfaces using whe web interface, but
>>is there a finite number of interfaces possible?
>>

> This is part of a new FAQ I'm going to commit later.
>
> The official answer is:
> "32 interfaces is the limit, and anything above that is "unsupported"
> (but might still work)."
>
> There technically is no limit that we're aware of (well, FreeBSD has
> some upper limit, but it's a huge number) though the webGUI will get
> slower as you add a bunch of interfaces.
>
> 32 includes physical and virtual (VLAN) interfaces.  DHCP is only
> supported on 16 interfaces I believe, prior to version 1.2b5 (I'm
> going to have to check to verify that number before committing the FAQ
> but I believe that's correct).   1.2b5+ should support DHCP on the
> maximum supported interfaces.
>
> Specifically for your situation, I know there are people running
> Soekris boxes with the lan1621 and lan1641 cards, using 5-7
> interfaces.  Speed will probably be your primary concern, if you're
> trying to route several LAN's through a 4801, the results won't be
> that great if you need consistently high throughput.
>
> -Chris

Thanks Chris, exactly what I was looking for.

Well, I think that even on speed there won't be any problems for now.
I'd use this firewall with a 1.5 Mbps fiber optics connexion, I'll have
a few web and mail servers in the DMZ and ~10 clients in the LAN.  I'm
planning on using the m0n0wall as a VPN server for a few VPN road
warriors.  I won't do any VPN in the private networks, as my access
point does it already.

I must discuss about that with my manager now...

Thanks a lot,

Ugo