[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Roman Kuznetsov" <rk at systola dot de>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Server NAT does not work?
 Date:  Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:18:21 +0200

> > we have an official static /27-subnet and are trying to "assign" more
> > addresses to the WAN interface by defining entries in Server NAT, as
> > it is stated in the docs.
> >
> > Then we do Inbound NAT to map a port from that secondary IP address to
> > some internal machine. This does not work: the connections do not get
> > established.
> >
> > It does work, however, if we do the mapping through the promary WAN
> > address.
> >
> > What's wrong?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Roman.
> >
> > PS. We do need more addresses on WAN as we need different machines to
> > talk to from outside using the same ports.
>
> It may be the ARP cache on your ISPs routers - some ISPs have
> unreasonably long TTLs on their ARP caches. If this is the
> case you will just have to wait for the cache to expire.
>
> Or you may also need to add the additional IPs to ARP Proxy (Services
> -> Proxy ARP).

Well, it says "you do not need Proxy ARP in most cases".
And I do not think it has to do with ARP at all:
I added an alias with ifconfig through /exec.php and it started working
immediately.
But, of course, it will be gone after restart.
So something is not quite right there with that additional IPs on WAN.

Any ideas?

Roman.