[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Braden McGrath" <braden at mcmail dot homeip dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Maximum number of interfaces
 Date:  Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:57:03 -0400

No, between two interfaces on the mono that run at higher speed...  For
instance, I want my wireless subnet to not touch my LAN interface at
all.  However, I want to be able to VPN and tunnel to the LAN for access
to fileshares and whatnot.  The m0n0 PPTP is *not* very fast for this
and bottlenecks things quite a bit.  When I use a real PC (connected to
the DMZ port) to act as VPN server, performance is much better.

Even then though, it's hard to get more than around 30Mbit/s on a
wireless client, going through VPN and on 54g, being routed through the
m0n0 (from wireless to DMZ for VPN, and then from DMZ to LAN to access
the network). I don't know if this is because of the m0n0's lack of
speed or the limitations of wireless, I haven't benchmarked it with
wired interfaces instead (yet).  I know it's not the VPN, because the
server and client have plenty of CPU beef to handle that.

--Braden