[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Bryan Kohlstedt <kohlstedt at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Peter_Parni=E8an?= <peter at procad dot sk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] cable for serial console
 Date:  Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:42:48 -0400
I learned years ago in my modem terminal server days that "null modem"
adapter is (pardon the expression) has become a null term: it doesn't really
mean much. We went through three different types of adapter before finding
the type we needed, and even then we had to cut a pin in order to make them
work.

Rule of thumb: when looking for a "null modem" adapter/cable, you should
verify the exact configuration needed for each end of the adapter/cable
(including pins tied high/low), and ensure that what you're buying matches
what you need. Or, buy "pinnable" connectors (sorry, don't know the real
term), which let you connect whichever pins you need, wherever you need
them.

-klode