[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  H H <prylar at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  No traffic LAN -> Internet but Internet -> WAN?
 Date:  Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:40:24 +0200
Hi all!

I decided to try out m0n0wall as a replacement to my current
Smoothwall solution.

I decided to install it on a spare IDE-ATA Flash Drive sitting in my
current Smoothwall PC to get a good comparison as well as having a
quick fallback in case of any trouble. Lucky me.
Trouble is what I found.

After setting up all my interfaces (WAN, LAN & OPT1) using exactly the
same NIC:s and settings as I use for my Smoothwall setup running on
the same hardware I can't for the life of me manage to get a
connection to the internet.

All interfaces are up, I can ping all the interfaces from LAN. I can
set rules to allow traffic from OPT1 to pass to LAN etc. All is
working fine... except I cannot get through to my ISP:s gateway.

Sure, I thought about MAC:s being cached by routers (remember, I run
on the same exact hardware so no change on my side) and have reset my
DSL modem. Powercycling, tried specifically setting the MAC. To no
avail.

No traffic from either LAN, OPT1 or the WAN interfaces can reach my
ISP:s gateway...
There are no firewall rules except passing all out to any from OPT1
and LAN, nothing is logged except the ICMP packets being passed.

Now, get this, I get incoming traffic from the net as I see plenty of
worms being logged when they hit my WAN interface.

I already tried switching to other NIC:s - same result. Connecting a
PC straight to my DSL router gives me access instantly as does booting
into my old Smoothwall config.

Where to go from here? I'm basically just wanting to test m0n0wall on
PC hardware before getting a Soekris box or some such and this is
*annoying*.

H H