[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'router xtreem'" <routerxt at yahoo dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] i wand to have 2 ISP's
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:56:46 +0100
> First of all i want to inform you that i have 3
> interfaces: WAN, LAN, OPT 1. Secondary: every ISP has
> different setups for gateway, netmask and dns. What i want to
> do is this: i want that the traffic from LAN to the IP's from
> first ISP to pass on an interface and the rest to pass on an
> interface to the secondary ISP.

First thing to say is that in its present condition m0n0wall doesn't support
native load balancing.

You can, however get most of the way with two m0n0wall boxes and a couple of
boxes running Squid for caching. See this diagram I posted a few months ago:
http://www.minotaur.cc/m0n0wall.gif

Essentially, each m0n0wall connects independently to each ISP, and each m0n0
also supports (i.e. provides DHCP for) its own set of clients. You would
then use the OPT1 interfaces on each m0n0 to link to the other (and you'd
define static routes in m0n0 to allow routing between the two client sets if
required). If you want HTTP load balancing, you can drop a couple of Squid
boxes into your bridging interface, each with a different gateway, and with
the other Squid box defined as a cache peer. This should distribute HTTP
traffic pretty evenly between the two ISPs, at least on HTTP stuff.

I'm sure someone with more networking knowledge than I can refine the idea
further.

Regards,

Chris