[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Claude Morin <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 To:  Roman Kuznetsov <rk at systola dot de>
 Cc:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Server NAT does not work?
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:27:44 -0400
This proxy ARP question has arisen a few times recently. For the interest of
list members who may not understand proxy ARP fully, here's an explanation:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094adb.shtml

Note that it assumes you understand ARP and Ethernet communication in
general. If not, see this:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc826.html

Also, this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol

 has a link to this sequence diagram:
http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/Arp.pdf

...which may help people picture how ARP works

Should I write something up, to flesh out the FAQ entry?
-klode