[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Mellor <james at jamesx dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Public IP's on OPT issue, my Brain hurts - please help ;-)
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:05:37 +0100
For the life of me I can't seem to work out how to setup M0n0wall to do NAT on LAN and route a
public IP range to the OPT interface, I have read all the mail archive stuff and read the
documentation. Here's the setup I am trying to get working:

Public static IP range from my service provider is 212.158.246.144/28

WAN <---- IP address: 212.158.246.146 with Gateway address: 212.158.246.145

LAN <---- IP address: 192.168.0.1/24 private addresses setup to do NAT and DHCP server enabled

OPT <---- IP address: 212.158.246.147-158 useable

My ISP has given me a IP range 212.158.246.144/28, the first IP 212.158.246.145 is taken by my ADSL
router, the second IP 212.158.246.146 I want assigned to the WAN and the rest I would like to assign
to machines on the OPT interface.

I know I could bridge the OPT and WAN interfaces however I have read that although I can enable
filtering bridge and throttle inbound traffic I am unable to throttle outbound traffic for a
specific IP address, another issue is that I would like the DHCP service to assign public IP's to
machines on the OPT interface, from my understanding this would not be possible with OPT bridged
with the WAN interface.

So with all that said I'm more than a little confused, I'm borderline labotomising myself trying to
work out how to get M0n0wall to do this for me.

Cheers,
             James Mellor.

P.S. The most important thing for me is to use the DHCP server to assign public IP addresses to
machines on my network and then throttle these machines upstream and downstream access to the
internet.