[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  'm0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  VOIP issues/can't specify a particular pipe.
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:43:40 -0700
VOIP Traffic Shaping. Can't I specify certain pipes?

Hello all. Sorry for the length.

I have read through the archives and there is a lot of information in
there about VOIP. However I have found that giving voip stuff priority
does not seem to fight audio issues well enough.Outgoing traffic at
more than 175Kbps causes serious issues on the far end of the call and
I can't seem to reduce the m_total_upload pipe and send voip out
another pipe that I create. This is on a Soekris Net4501 100mHz/32MB
with m0n0 v1.1 (It works GREAT BTW. hundreds of days of uptime with no
issues).

Here is what I have. I have an ADSL connection with actual throughput
of about 550Kbps upstream and 2800 downstream. There are up to 30
people using the network at any one time. It all runs through m0n0wall
and all addresses are private. Traffic shaping is turned on and I have
P2P set to lowest priority. I have an asterisk box at 192.168.100.90
that works with my VOIP provider Broadvoice. I am using 1:1 nat to give
me connectivity to the asterisk box outside my LAN at a WAN IP of
x.y.z.90 .

This all works, but outgoing traffic (P2P, FTP, HTTP) begins to cause
issues with VOIP. I test this by calling a landline that I still have
and playing the radio into the voip line and listening on the PSTN side
while I do different things such as using P2P, FTP etc). Downstream has
little effect on it.

Things I have tried:
1) Create a voip queue with a priority of 100 using pipe
m_Total_upload. Rules to send all traffic from 192.168.100.90 to the
VOIP queue. This didn't really do anything. I also tried to prioritize
all traffic destined for the ip of sip.bradvoice.com.

2) Create 3rd pipe 400Kbps, Changed VOIP queue to use pipe3 as its
target and priority of 100, and a rule sending all traffic from
192.168.100.90 through the voip queue (which is supposed to be using
pipe 3). I also tried directing all traffic, UDP traffic and traffic to
sip.broadvoice.com through this pipe.

would cause issues for voip, so it seems voip traffic was going through
it rather than the voip pipe. Was the rule was not catching the
traffic? I even tried sending ALL udp traffic from any
source/destination through the voip queue. Still no change as when I
would shrink the m_total Upload down, it would cause voip issues.

Does anyone have something that works well to control upstream traffic
while still allowing voip access to more bandwidth?

Rules - http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz010.jpg

Pipes - http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz012.jpg

Queues- http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz011.jpg