[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  "John ." <jvoigt at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  'm0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VOIP issues/can't specify a particular pipe.
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:09:44 -0700
I understand about the pipes and used the Magicshaper wizard to create
most of it. That already works fine and I do not need help with that.
The issue is that no matter what I do with just 2 pipes, I will have
issues with viop. The upstream p2p traffic will always fill whatever
size pipe is available.

So the easy solution seems to shape the upstream traffic down more.
Nope, because when I do that, it reduces the total amount of
bandwidth...including to the machine running voip and things get even
worse.

My idea was to give general traffic a small upstream pipe, but give the
device doing voip, a much larger, separate pipe. Sure it reduces the
outbound potential for most people, but that is not the biggest issue.
I would much rather have VOIP working well than allow people to send
large amounts of data.

So is it not possible to have more than 2 pipes?