[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Roman Kuznetsov" <rk at systola dot de>
 To:  "'Claude Morin'" <klodefactor at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "'Chris Buechler'" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Server NAT does not work?
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:30:31 +0200

This is exactly why I said it is illogical.

I know what Proxy ARP is and even in this cisco document it says (my accents):
"Proxy ARP is the technique in which one host, usually a router, answers ARP
requests intended for *another* machine. By "faking" its identity, the router
accepts responsibility for *routing* packets to the "real" destination."

This is what got me confused: one usually uses Proxy ARP to proxy requests to
another machine, not the same machine. A common practice for having multiply
addresses on the same interface is by means of aliasing, nor by proxying.
Otherwise this can be very confusing, since means of the task resolution seems
to have different application.

Roman.