[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS update to a different server than normal DNS queries
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:00:40 -0400
I have an ISP that issues a DHCP address to m0n0wall.  For DNS lookups I
need to use the DNS servers that the ISP gives out through DHCP.
Everything there is working just fine.

What I need is for m0n0wall to keep using the ISP's DNS servers but to
send a Dynamic DNS update to a totally different DNS Server to update
the m0n0wall's IP address so that it resolves to the new IP/hostname.

Looking at the gui for dyndns it appears that it has to use the DNS
server that is setup for normal DNS queries.  Is there a way to override
that and use a specific DNS server just for the RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS
updates?

My goal is to use x.x.x.x DNS server for normal DNS queries and y.y.y.y
DNS server for RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS for my firewall hostname name.