[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS update to a different server than normal DNS queries
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:48:39 -0500
The RFC2136 dynamic dns client on m0n0wall is the nsupdate program from
the bind distribution.  Search the web for man nsupdate, and you should
get all the info you need.

While you can't specify which server to send the update to, it should
work no matter what as long as your DNS is set up properly.  Say, for
example that I wish to update m0n0.techadvise.com using nsupdate.  The
nsupdate will look up the SOA record for techadvise.com, and pull the
master name server from there, which is ns1.usa-companies.com.  nsupdate
then sends the updates to the server ns1.usa-companies.com, even though
I have a different resolver specified in the DNS server field.

So, if you are trying to update your ptm.com zone, it is going to send
the requests to mirage.ptm.com which is at 12.8.228.154, no matter what
your DNS Server is set to.

Justin