[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  "John ." <jvoigt at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  'm0n0wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VOIP issues/can't specify a particular pipe.
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:18:44 -0700
First I must say that this is not what I do for a living...I am a
student so my thinking could be completely wrong and backwards. I'm
trying to set this up for students who live where I do who need to make
phone calls, but not enough to warrant paying the outrageous $90 setup
fee for the phone CO with a $20/month phone bill and 30% in taxes
tacked on.

On Apr 12, 2005, at 8:41 PM, John . wrote:

> You can certainly have more than 2 pipes but I don't think you're
> going to acheive your objective that way.  Queues only prioritize
> traffic within the same pipe.  If you don't have all your traffic in 1
> pipe (well, 1 in each direction but downstream is usually not an
> issue) then you can't make part of it have priority.  Pipes limit
> bandwidth but if all your pipes add up to more bandwidth than you have
> you won't get the desired results.

My problem is that no matter what I do, with 1 450Kbps upstream pipe,
other traffic still affects the voip.  Yes, I have added a rule and
high priority queue with the voip IP address as the source. It may
help, but it does not change the fact that the voip starts to suffer
when the sustained non-voip outbound traffic goes over 150-200Kb even
if all traffic to the voip asterisk box is prioritized. If I reduce my
outgoing pipe to 200Kbps, I am now trying to squeeze ALL traffic
including the voip traffic through that pipe. It gets much worse.

It seems that creating a 3rd pipe, which is used for outgoing voip
traffic could solve this. I could set 1 outgoing pipe to 150Kbps, leave
the downstream pipe as is, and create a 3rd pipe at 300Kbps, sending
all traffic from my voip asterisk box through that pipe. By doing this,
it would seem all traffic from my asterisk machine would go to the
300Kbps pipe (which is empty besides the voip traffic) and all other
traffic through the 150KBps pipe . The total outbound is still a
maximum of 150+300=450kbps and I would have limited non-voip traffic to
150Kbps which still works for voip.

Here are some screenshots...they explain much better than words.

Rules - http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz006.jpg
	- Catches all traffic udp or traffic coming from my asterisk box.
Target queue is Voip queue (#9)
Queues- http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz011.jpg
	- Sets priority to 100 and Target pipe is Voip Pipe.
Pipes - http://www.scs.wsu.edu/~arobinso/tmp/SafariScreenSnapz012.jpg
	- voip pipe is 300kbps while other traffic should leave through the
150Kbps pipe

Unfortunately this doesn't work. All traffic stays in pipe#1 which I
verify by shrinking the pipe down below the size required by voip and
listening to it dropout.

Yes, I have tried using just 2 queues and priorities...without success.
Heavy sustained traffic always affects voip.

Is there something wrong with my logic in sending it out pipe#3 or does
this just not work?
Does anyone have any suggestions which will work? Non-mono solutions
could be considered.

Thanks!
Aaron