[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] no cable for my wrap then what?
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:33:42 -0400
> Hi
>
> Forgot all about the cable when I ordre my new wrap
>
> Is there a nother way to set the interface?

You don't have to have a serial cable for the initial setup.  The
interfaces are pre-assigned in the WRAP image.  Just put in the
written CF card, set the network card on your PC to 192.168.1.2 (as an
example, something within 192.168.1.0/24 and not 1.1) and open up
http://192.168.1.1

The LAN port, IIRC, will be the port closest to the power plug.  What
I usually do is assign the PC with an IP on the appropriate subnet,
and run 'ping -t 192.168.1.1' which runs a constant ping, then plug in
the interface on the WRAP and see if you get a response (wait 20-30
seconds).  If not, try another port.  You should get a response on one
of the ports, which will be your LAN port.  Then you can get into the
webGUI and configure from there.

If none of the ports respond to pings to 192.168.1.1 from a PC on the
appropriate subnet, then you'll need a console cable to see what's
going on (chances are it isn't booting up properly, possibly because
the CF card wasn't written properly).  I always take a serial cable
with me when I do installs, but I don't recall ever needing to use it.

-Chris