[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  James Mellor <james at jamesx dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Public IP's on OPT issue, my Brain hurts - please help ;-)
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:24:36 +0100
Hi Chris,

Sure you can have access to my m0n0wall box, it'd be a privilege, I know
who you are from reading the mailing lists and so I have no problems
trusting you ;-) I don't have any machines I can connect to the OPT or
LAN interfaces permanently but I can plug my laptop into any interface
when I'm not working to test your setup.

My m0n0wall box is a custom built PC and the Specs are below, I'll
provide the exact make a model No.s for a component compatibility list
if needed:

Asus nForce1 chipset M/B with onboard GeForce2 GPU
512MB DDR 266mhz memory
AMD Athlon 1700 XP CPU with 266Mhz FSB
16x DVD rom, Floppy and Three 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100Mbps NIC's

The system is rock stable and flashed to the latest firmwares, it used
to be my main webserver - it ran for years without ever having an issue
;-) I can leave the m0n0wall PC on permanently until your finished with
it, how would I go about giving you access to the machine, what rule
would I need to setup on m0n0wall ?

Cheers, James...

Chris Buechler wrote:

>Hi James,
>
>Is there any way you could get me access to this m0n0wall box so I
>could try some things for documentation purposes?  I haven't had an
>opportunity to try routing public IP's in a situation similar to this,
>and I'd really like to give it a shot via some method other than
>routing a partial subnet or bridging or NAT.  If you haven't been
>around long, I am a member of the project, write the vast majority of
>the documentation, and have CVS commit access on m0n0.ch.
>

>On 4/13/05, James Mellor <james at jamesx dot com> wrote:
>

>>Hi Chris,
>>
>>I have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.240 on my WAN interface but haven't
>>configured the OPT interface yet, I haven't worked that bit out !!
>>
>>I only need one IP on the WAN interface and would like to use any other
>>interface to use the DHCP server to assign the rest of my public /28 IP
>>range to computers on my network.
>>
>>The computers need public IP's as they will be clients I'm selling
>>internet access to, if I can get this working I'll be very happy but if
>>I can get NAT working on another interface so that I can have a private
>>office network running then this will be great ;-)
>>
>>Cheers, James...
>>
>>P.S. Sorry it took so long to reply but I just got back from work, I'll
>>be monitoring the mail list for the next 5 hours and so will reply in a
>>matter of minutes to any replies...
>>

>>Chris Buechler wrote:

public IP range to the OPT interface, I have read all the mail archive stuff and read the
documentation. Here's the setup I am trying to get working: