[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS update to a different server than normal DNS queries
 Date:  Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:39:57 -0400
Braden McGrath wrote:
> I've never seen an internet "dynamic DNS" service that actually uses
> RFC2136...  Most of them are similar to dyndns.org and require a
> web-based update.  Who are you using, and is it free?

This is for a test home network which has its own DNS servers and such
which I configure for the RFC 2136 Dynamic updates.

> It doesn't look like what you want to do is possible though; there'd
> need to be an extra text box and variable for "alternate server to use
> for RFC2136 update"...
>
> --Braden

Justin Ellison just mentioned in another m0n0wall email that it should
work the way I want by default... m0n0wall uses nsupdate which will
automatically finds the master DNS server for the hosts domain name.  It
should just work.  I for reasons I can not explain assumed that the RFC
2136 Dynamic DNS updates were handled by some other program.  It never
occurred to me that m0n0wall could be using nsupdate.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.