[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 To:  "'Justin Smith'" <justin at justinsmith dot is dash a dash geek dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Odd Problems
 Date:  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:21:22 -0700
>After random periods of time I am no longer able to pull up web pages
>based on their FQDN (Like I can't access http://m0n0.ch/wall) or
>(www.apple.com) but I could use their IP addresses to reach these
>sites.  What is odd is that I can still ping these sites and recover

You wouldn't happen to be using Comcast?  I know Comcast has been having
issues with their DNS server lately.  If you have m0n0wall setup to use DHCP
on the WAN side, it will use Comcast's DNS server.  Use a root server IP
address instead or some other ISP DNS server.  Regardless it does sound like
a typical DNS server problem.