[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Boot times for m0n0wall on 4801?
 Date:  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:41:54 -0400
Tom Izard wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> Can someone out there using m0nowall on a 4801 give me a
> quick timing number?  How long from power on to console prompt?
>
> I am trying to determine if it is worth moving up to to the 4801
> from my current 4511 as part of my pursuit of a boot time
> approaching 20 seconds instead of the 60 seconds it takes now.

I don't know where you got 20 seconds. From
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/facts.php:

"On a net4501, m0n0wall boots to a fully working state in less than 40
seconds after power-up, including POST (with a properly configured
BIOS)"

Take a look at this: http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/notes.php

Recommended BIOS settings for the net45xx

ConSpeed = 9600
ConLock = Enabled
BIOSentry = Disabled
PCIROMS = Disabled
PXEBoot = Disabled
FLASH = Primary
BootDelay = 2
BootPartition = Disabled
ShowPCI = Enabled

I would assume similar setting for net4801. I would guess one of the
time killers may be the PXEBoot setting - would enabling this cause a
netXXXX to TRY to netboot before booting from flash?

James W. McKeand