[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Can not get address from cable modem?
 Date:  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:50:44 -0400
Cable modems are notorious for hanging onto the last MAC address they had.
Usually a power down for several minutes will clear their memory and reset
the MAC on the providers side. If you used to have your PC connected
directly to it, it likely has that MAC address in the modem. Release the IP
on the PC, power down  the cable modem for 5 min, and then power up
everything. As long as the WAN interface is set in m0n0wall, it should get a
DHCP address at that time using a regular Cat5 cable.

Dave