[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] wallwatcher
 Date:  Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:01:41 -0400
My initial thoughts about WallWatcher (WW).

1. I installed two relatively small files on a windows XP workstation.
The instructions for setup are pretty clear. The help documentation is
pretty extensive. I found the install to be pretty easy.

2. Setup..again pretty easy, as long as you remember to disable the
current syslogd running on the system :) AND very flexible with
respect to displays, alerts, what's logged...etc.

3. Alerts in the log capture screen can be sorted on the fly simply by
clicking the column header. I reports Inbound, Outbound, IP, FQDN,
Port...etc

4. Reporting can generate graphical reports by many different
values...IP, WAN, LAN, Port.

5. WW can use SNMP for Bandwidth Useage reporting. The capture rate
can be set at whatever interval you need. WW can also generate a
graphical report for bandwidth useage.

To go on would be to reproduce the help file. There's tons more
features. I spent about an hour playing with WW. I like it and I plan
to continue using it. If what you need is firewall logging and
reporting AND it needs to be easy and cheap, WW is worth looking into.

It's just my opinion, but I think it should be added to the docbook
section 10.7 logging
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/ref-logging.html

The one nice thing that KIWI does, that WW does not do is report the
Filter rule (@17, @3...etc)

btw...This was tested using m0n0wall v 1.11, for a small office. WW
was loaded on a windows XP box. Our interent connection is froma
fractional T-1.

- Don