[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rich Elliott <rich at kc7cdk dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Can not get address from cable modem?
 Date:  Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:53:48 -0600
David Kitchens wrote:

>OK, lets start from the beginning. What hardware is your m0n0 running on?
>What version m0n0? Are you sure the interface you are plugging the modem
>into is the WAN? Silly question I know but even I have done it wrong before.
>Two network cards I am assuming? Check the MAC address on the card itself,
>most NIC's have it printed on the card. I have never needed to try spoofing
>a MAC with m0n0wall. Since you can get to the m0n0 web pages I assume you
>have the LAN card set correctly. Try using a different card for the WAN?
>It's possible that card is not working if you are not getting a proper
>subnet mask when hooked to the linksys. I have setup several m0n0walls up
>for myself and clients on various cable networks and not had a problem. I am
>using Comcast here and a few weeks ago set one up on Adelphia cable with no
>issues.
>
>Dave

The hardware is an old Pentium I 200Mhz, 3 NIC's, HD, 80Meg Ram. m0n0 is
version 1.11

The interfaces should be correct, I can use a laptop on the LAN
interface with a flip cable and can bring up the m0n0 web pages at
192.168.1.1 also I can hook the WAN interface up to the Linksys wireless
router that I am running and  the m0n0 will grab an IP from the linksys.
But when I hook it to the modem by itself it will not pickup an address
and it will not show a gateway address.

As soon as I send this I will reconfigure the #3 NIC as the WAN port and
see if that does anything. If thatt doesn't work, I think I am going to
pull the plug for the evening and start again tomorrow.... My brain is
turning to mush!

Thanks,
Rich