[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "PHiL" <phil at tatm dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  try running m0n0wall on an Openbrick
 Date:  Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:41:55 +0200
Hello,

I just subscribe, and first I must send my best grettings to the M0n0wall
coders & the community.

Here is my experiments :

I have an Openbrick running Smoothwall, witch need a lot of patching to run
nice the Openbrick hardware.

I plan to use M0n0wall instead of Smoothwall, because it is really matching
100% of my requirements features, without patching everything to get it
(dns, traffic shaper etc.). But.

The reminning problem for my case is the PCMCIA. I must use an ethernet
PCCARD, because my Openbrick have a single ETH card onboard.

So, my first think was to install another box with the minimal ISO of the
FreeBSD 5.3, download last beta version of M0nowall to uncompress & modify
the config of the PCCARD part.

I have add the following lines to the /etc/pccard.conf :

# Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Intergrated PC Card (PCM100)

card "Linksys" "EtherFast 10/100 Integrated PC Card (PCM100)"

        config  auto "ed" ? 0x80000

        insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start

        remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

Usually this is enougth to run the Linksys PCCARD I have.

But the problem is that the PCMCIA chipset doesn't seems to be initialized
correctly. The leds on the PCMCIA cards doesn't flash at all when I
insert/remove the card.

My PCMCIA chipset is a Cirrus Logic PD672X. It is compatible & run under
Linux with the config for a chipset named i82365. All those chipset are
supported from the FreeBSD kernel since years.

My question is, how can I said to the M0n0wall kernel to look for this
chipset, because it seems the autodetect isn't manage to achive. I'm no so
easy under FreeBSD.

Another point, with 1 single ethernet card, is there a way to setup the LAN
interface of M0n0wall, to get the boot logs ? For the moment I work < blind
> without logs from the box. As it always ask me to setup first the WAN
interface...

Thanx for the support.

Philippe.