[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Tom Izard <tizard at appleaid dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Speeding up the boot time?
 Date:  Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:03:36 -0400
Tom Izard wrote:

>Hello Group,
>
>I have m0nowall running on a 4511 in ad-hoc mode as a wireless bridge
>between

>But, it takes too long to boot up!  I have a spec that requires me to be
>
>operational in 20 seconds, not the 60 I use now.  Can anyone point me in
>
>the direction of any work that has been done to speed up the m0n0wall
>boot time?   (Soekris reports they will be coming up with a BIOS that
>allows
>the memory test to be skipped, but that only knocks off about 8
>seconds.)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom

>Thomas Izard
>Senior Software Engineer
>
>Apple Aid Inc
>4246 Ridge Lea Rd.  Suite 48
>Amherst, NY  14226
>
>716-832-4600 x102 - voice
>716-832-4610          - fax

Your spec is way unrealistic.  Even an expensive Cisco router doesn't
boot in 20 seconds.  Anyway, up your hardware to a fast hard drive, in a
fast computer and you might reach your 20 second spec.  No way a Soekris
is going to boot that quickly.  Flash cards are much slower than hard
drives, that's one major reason for slower boot time.