[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Can not get address from cable modem?
 Date:  Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:48:20 -0400
On 4/16/05, Rich Elliott <rich at kc7cdk dot com> wrote:
> SUCCESS! I do not know why but when I reconfigured the WAN port on m0n0
> to the NIC that had been OPT1 things fired up and flew with out a hitch!
>
> THANKS to all that kept me focused!
>
> Time to start moving some things around, I may have a couple more
> questions when I get things changed around. I will be trying to make the
> OPT1 into a wireless connection that is totally seperated fron the LAN
> interface. The wireless clients need access to the internet and nothing
> else.

The best way to do this is to turn off DHCP on the Linksys, plug one
of the switch ports (not the WAN port) on the Linksys into the OPT
interface on m0n0wall, configure the Linksys AP however you want (WEP,
WPA, or whatever), and turn on DHCP on m0n0wall on the OPT interface.
Add a firewall rule to the OPT interface to permit traffic to anything
and make sure it works as desired.  Then change that rule on the OPT
interface to permit any to *not* LAN and test that it works as
intended.

-Chris