[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rui Correia <rds underscore correia at mailshack dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  M0n0 1.2b7 - does it run on a Soekris 4521 with 100Mhz/64MB RAM?
 Date:  Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:43:27 +0000 (UTC)
Hi there,

I love m0n0wall.
I run it at home on a Soekris 4521 as a simple firewall/router.
And I also run it at the office on a regular PC for road warrior IPSec VPN
connections.
Works fine with TheGreenBow VPN software installed on the laptops.
I've been using 1.11 at both sites for a very long time and since I'd like to
try OpenVPN instead of IPSec I decided to upgrade the Soekris 4521 to m0n0 1.2b7.
The upgrade process seemed to work 100% fine but after a couple of hours my
internet connection got incredibly slow...
So I rebooted the 4521.
And it got back to regular upload and download figures.
But then after a couple of hours it went back to almost stoping/freezing!
So I rebooted the 4521 again and it was cured only for sometime.
So I thought it could be something in the config file.
In such sense I decided to set the box to factory defaults and redo the whole
config from scratch.
It worked fine for less than an hour.
Defeated, I decided to went back to 1.11 again.
Needless to say it's been working like a charm ever since, and it's been a week
I did those tests with 1.2b7.
Could it be the 4521 specs that don't meet the needs of 1.2b?
This baby has a 100Mhz CPU with 64MB of RAM and a 32MB CF card.
Should m0n0 1.2b run fine on such specs.
Anyway, what are the minimum specs for both 1.11 and 1.2b running on
Soekris/WRAP hardware?
At home with the 4521 I only use it for a simple firewall/router (no usage of
WiFi/Traffic shaping/VPN/etc).
BTW, the PC back at work hasn't had this proble and it is still on 1.2b7...

TIA

Cheers