[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Mail filtering gateway in DMZ config problem
 Date:  Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:08:54 -0400
Hi,

	I've installed m0n0wall recently and I'm having problem configuring my
rules correctly for my mail setup.

	Here is my setup (3 interfaces m0n0).

Wan: 1.1.1.1/29
Lan: 192.168.1.1/24
DMZ: 192.168.2.1/24

Mail filtering gateway (DMZ): 192.168.2.2
Internal mail server   (LAN): 192.168.1.2

Rules:

1-to-1 nat from 1.1.1.2 to 192.168.2.2 so that mail sent to my domain is
received by the filtering gateway.  This server processes mail and must
send it to the internal mail server.  So I did an inbound NAT.

All is well with this setup for incoming mail.  However I have a problem
with outgoing mail.

My internal mail server sends a message to the filtering gateway, which
processes it.  Then the filtering gatway tries to send the message to
the destination mail server (say 24.24.24.24), it gets redirected to my
internal mail server in an infinite loop.

Anyone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong?
Please let me know is you need more info.

Right now to solve the problem I had my internal mail server send e-mail
directly, bypassing the filtering gateway.  However, I'd rather filter
my outgoing mail.

Thanks,

Ugo