[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mail filtering gateway in DMZ config problem
 Date:  Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:50:11 -0400
On 4/18/05, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com> wrote:

> My internal mail server sends a message to the filtering gateway, which
> processes it.  Then the filtering gatway tries to send the message to
> the destination mail server (say 24.24.24.24), it gets redirected to my
> internal mail server in an infinite loop.

Sounds like your sendmail is set up to use the LAN server as a smart
host, i.e. uses it to send all email.  If you only want it to relay
email to your domain back to your LAN server, my guess is you'll need
to change your sendmail config.  How?  I'm not sure (with sendmail).
Postfix uses the transport file so it knows to send email for
yourdomain.com to your LAN mail server, then you can set it up to
relay on behalf of your LAN server.  I'm sure sendmail has some
similar setup.

I doubt if this is a firewall issue.  To verify that, run 'telnet
s0.m0n0.ch 25' on your gateway.  If you don't get an answer, there's a
network problem.  It's a sendmail configuration problem if the port
does answer with something like the following.

Trying 80.238.135.125...
Connected to s0.m0n0.ch.
Escape character is '^]'.

-Chris