[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Feature to email when IP changes
 Date:  Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:56:19 -0400
Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Adam Gibson wrote:
>
>> Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Wouldn't be simpler to use a mydyndns service and have your DNS set
> automatically?

Previously I mentioned that "Sometimes some external things need to be
changed(not DNS related) or monitored when an IP changes"

I already have a plan for DNS to get updated using the RFC 2136 dynamic
DNS feature of m0n0wall.  I just need to be emailed so that I can do
some manual things which cannot be automated and have nothing to do with
DNS.

If nobody else is interested in such a feature and because of that it
would never be implemented I could setup a script to query DNS every so
often to see when it changes but it would be nice to have the m0n0wall
do it itself instead of relying on a server somewhere to monitor it.  I
would think others might find it useful to be notified when their
m0n0wall changes IP addresses.

I used to do this with my previous iptables system I had and it proved
to be very useful when all your systems send you emails when their ISP
given IP address changes.