[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim McBeath <jimmc at macrovision dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP to Linux client
 Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:26:29 -0800
I am still trying to get PPTP working to my RedHat9 client over wireless.

Is anyone else on the list using the m0n0wall PPTP server with a
Linux client?

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:12:48AM +0100, Magne Andreassen wrote:
> > Any suggestions as to what might be wrong here, or how to debug?
>
> enable logging for all rules for your PPTP and Wireless interface
> (both pass and block rules).

Everything looks good on the m0n0wall, nothing blocked.  In addition to
the four records for this ping, I could see a bunch of tcp/1723 and gre
packets during setup, and a bunch of gre packets before and after the
cleartext ping packets.

I dug through /var/log/messages on my client, and found this message:

  Unsupported protocol 0x2145 received

Google points me to
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#mppc
where it says:

  Problem: the PPTP Server is trying to use Microsoft Point-to-Point
  Compression (MPPC), and your local pppd does not support it.

I tried the first solution suggested on that page (using nopcomp
and noaccomp options to pppd), and that did not make any difference.

The second option is to disable MPPC on the PPTP server, but I don't see
an option to do that in m0n0wall.  Is there a way to do this?  Perhaps a
command I can try out in /exec.php?  I have no qualms about digging into
the code and patching if I need to.

--
Jim