[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Falcor <falcor at netassassin dot com>
 To:  Kamil Wencel <wencel at radion dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FW: MAC filtering on wireless interfaces
 Date:  Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:40:16 -0600
Could you put the WiFi subnet on a separate network.  E.g. LAN is
192.168.1.0/24 and the WiFi is on 192.168.2.0/24  Then setup PPTP and
have the WiFi people you want authenticate via 128b PPTP to the LAN, and
thus get to the Internet LAN etc.  This not only secures who is using
your WiFi it also keeps those who have managed to spoof a MAC and the
WEP key from watching what your users are doing as each person's traffic
is inside its own encrypted tunnel.  Granted you can only have 16 PPTP
tunnels, but then again you should keep 10-20 people per WiFi AP at a
max so that is kind of moot.

This is how most corporations are now doing it.  Some still mix in MAC
and even WEP as deterrence, but you need to establish a VPN connection
to the real network from the WiFi network to do anything.  This is how I
do it at home, but my WiFi is on a separate device and physical network
so it was easier to setup to do this with.  I don't have WiFi in my
Soekris so I haven't tried it all in one box.

You can still point the PPTP to a radius server if you want for
challenged authentication.  Depending on the ACE you are using you can
lock down to the MAC address there... or use a separate WiFi AP that has
802.1x or a built in MAC filter.