[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Andreas <a dot breuer at gmx dot de>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NAT with public IP adresses
 Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:14:07 -0500
Andreas wrote:

>hi there,
>
>i want to connect some internal servers to the internet with nat.
>
>if i use the 1:1 nat i can't map the destination port of the destionation server.
>i try to use the inbound nat but it seems to work at the wan ip of m0n0wall only.
>i'm confused about that, are there some gaps in my knowledge about who m0n0wall works.
>
>what happend if i connect m0n0wall an another computer at the same time to my router (of course,
there's a switch between).
>can i use 4 ip's with m0n0wall and 1 with the other computer or has m0n0wall to be the only
computer between my lan and the router?

m0n0wall IS a router.  You wouldn't put it behind another router, that
would be silly unless that router has a public Subnet on the LAN side of
it, in which case, then yes, you could do that.  Of course, that would
leave the computer you are speaking about on a public IP, totally
unprotected.  In which case, I'd recommend putting them all behind
m0n0wall.  1:1 Nat seems to be what you want though if you can assign
the public IPs directly to the m0n0wall.  I think once you do 1:1 Nat,
there is no reason to map ports, only enter firewall rules to allow the
traffic because if you map 1:1 Nat, you're already telling m0n0wall to
map all ports from public IP #1 to private IP #1.

Chris