[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  gary at kryptic dash x dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Workgroup issues
 Date:  Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:19:21 -0400 (EDT)
Hey all,

I got kinda a strange issue with my m0n0wall/ Home network. This may not
be a m0n0wall issue but I wanted to ask here since you guys are familiar
with m0n0.

Basically, I have a home network with 4 computers and soon to add at least
one more. Currently I have a cable modem going to m0n0 as my
firewall/router. Out of NIC #2 it goes to a linksys 5-port switch. The
switch feeds 3 of the computers. This is all good. All can surf, browse
the network, etc.

Next I have a cat5 running to a wireless d-link di-524 router. I have one
laptop connected wirelessly. Out of the box, it was able to browse the net
since m0n0's interface is 192.168.1.1 and the d-link is 192.168.0.1.  The
problem is that when i go to see my workgroup, the first 3 computers only
see  each other. The wireless laptop only sees itself. So i am guessing it
is a routing issue.

I was wondering if this setup would be correct.

192.168.1.1 - m0n0 interface
192.168.1.2 - dlink interface

[DHCP]

192.168.1.3 - 192.168.1.8

subnet: 255.255.255.0 for both routers

m0n0 would do the NAT, DHCP, etc. The d-link has a statically assigned ip
of 192.168.1.2 and DHCP is OFF.

The goal is to have computer 1,2,3 and 4 all on the 192.168.1.x block and
have them see each other on the network